How to Use a Mindfulness-Based Sensory Regulation Approach to Support Neurological Recovery
This Masterclass will provide you with:
- an introduction to how you might approach and build awareness of sensory regulation through mindfulness
- strategies to use after a neurological event such as a stroke, mild brain injury, concussion, or functional neurological disorder (FND) diagnosis
- a basic understanding of the hierarchy of cognitive recovery
- how to address clients' challenges with sensory overload
- an understanding of how sensory overload impacts daily activities and recovery
- how to support clients to find the right level of challenge without moving into overload or avoiding activities
- experiential learning that will help you understand your own sensory experience and how you can support clients through co-regulation
- a chance to communicate with other OTs working in this area of practice
On Demand Replay Now Available
This is a 60 minute event.
Meet Your Host
Shannon Ellis, Occupational Therapist
Shannon Ellis is an Occupational Therapist with over 25 years of clinical experience and a certified Ayres Sensory Integration Practitioner (ASIP) based in British Columbia, Canada. Shannon's primary area of practice and interest is in adult neurology. She has spent most of her career working with clients recovering from neurological events such as a stroke, traumatic brain injury, or functional neurological disorder (FND). Shannon works part-time in a hospital-based outpatient neuro-rehabilitation clinic and in her private coaching practice. She supports clients to build resilience through mindfulness, self-compassion, and sensory regulation.
Using a coaching and self-management approach Shannon co-created the Mindful Sensations for Sensory Overload Program to support clients struggling with sensory symptoms that impact their recovery and functional ability. With a keen interest in cognitive therapy, sensory regulation and mindfulness, Shannon has seen firsthand how using a coaching model to support the integration of these components can enhance clients' resiliency, wellbeing, and function in daily life.
613-715-3550 | [email protected] | PO BOX 14067 GLEBE RPO, OTTAWA, ON, K1S3T2